Who is Mekete Tigray UK
Mekete Tigray UK was established on 4 July 2020 by a group of Tigrayans in the UK to support the democratic elections on 9 September 2020; defend and safeguard the people of Tigray constitutional rights of their self-determination, democratic prerogatives and freedoms to conduct their regional elections as enshrined in the Federal and Regional Constitutions (Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia).
Mekete Tigray UK is dedicated to promote and campaign for protection of the human rights of Tigrayans and ethnic groups in Ethiopia. Mekete Tigray UK believes that all ethnic groups are equal regardless of race, religion, gender and political affiliation and strives for a peaceful coexistence amongst multicultural and diverse ethnic identities in Ethiopia where the fundamental human rights and the rule of law are respected under the Federal Constitution of Ethiopia.
Given the background and context of the current political landscape in Ethiopia, the Tigrayans Diaspora in the UK promote and support for implementation of good governance and defend the constitutional rights for self-determination of Tigray against the dictatorial regime of Abiy Ahmed in solidarity with the people of Somali, Oromo, Afar, Benshangul-Gumuz, Gambella, Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples’ Region (SNNPR) and Kemant, Agew, Gumuz, Gedeo, Welayta and other minority ethnic groups in Ethiopia.
Aim of Mekete Tigray UK
- To defend and safeguard the people of Tigray constitutional rights of their self-determination, democratic prerogatives and freedoms to conduct their regional elections as enshrined in the Federal and Regional Constitutions (Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia).
- To promote good governance and protect human rights through advocacy, lobbying, education and research in order to safeguard the human rights of Tigrayans and ethnic groups in Ethiopia.
Objectives of Mekete Tigray UK
- To ensure that the successful and democratic conduct and outcome of the Tigray 2020 election that was applauded by international observers as free, fair and credible is upheld on the international stage and to gather support for enforcement by the international community.
- To expose and combat widespread repression by the dictatorial regime of Abiy Ahmed and the Prosperity Party (PP) including politically motivated imprisonments and murders; ethnic profiling and cleansing of Tigrayans and other ethnic groups. We aim to demonstrate the propaganda, the psychological and economic warfare, and the recent heavy military action against the people of Tigray so that the international community can stand as witness.
- To expose and combat the treasonous conspiracy and plans of human rights abuses by the dictatorial regimes of Abiy Ahmed and Isaias Afeworki, which are aimed against the benefit of the people of Ethiopia with particular focus on people of Tigray as the main force of resistance.
- To expose and combat global hegemonic forces and regional geo-political actors that aim to ethnically profile and cleanse the people of Tigray, Agew, Kemant, Gedeo, etc. and subdue the country at large. We aim to demonstrate the macro reality of Tigray as the role model of democracy in Africa.
- To further cement existing alliances and commonwealth with all Ethiopian nations, nationalities and peoples and their organisations, who resist suppression to safeguard democratic federalism, self-determination; share and respect the values of diverse ethnic identities and peaceful coexistence and by observing the democratic process under the Federal and Regional Constitutions.
Principles and strategy of Mekete Tigray UK
- Inclusive activation, participation and co-ordination of Tigrigna speaking people and other ethnic groups without regard to ideology, political and organisational affiliation, religion, age or gender. Our main principal is to demand and safeguard the people of Tigray, nations and nationalities of democratic and constitutional rights of self-determination to be respected by upholding the promotion and execution of the constitution and the rule of law, peaceful coexistence amongst diverse ethnic identities that lead to free and prosperous life of mutual respect and support for our fellow citizens and ourselves.
- To focus on the importance of nations and nationalities democratic and constitutional rights of self-determination, and provide strategic support and leadership to build resilience, capacity, skills and resources efficiently.
- To identify allies with common values and objectives, and to ambitiously campaign with other oppressed nations and nationalities, peoples and their organisations who resist the suppression of their democratic and constitutional rights of self-determination in Ethiopia.
- To identify our key stated priorities, regularly review our focus on good governance, human rights, self-determination, devolution, and co-ordinate effective action for maximal outcomes.
- To proactively develop a practice of decisive campaign for the protection of human rights and the importance of self-determination and devolution as enshrined in the Federal Constitution of Ethiopia.
- To set up an open platform that administrates and accommodates differences and resolve through dialogue of democratic methods of discourse and transparency.